Thursday, July 05, 2007

Concert tickets

Well, I learned a valuable lesson (at least $300 worth) when buying tickets for the Police concert at Wrigley Field. I tried to get tickets for the first (and only) night, but they sold out within an hour, and despite my multiple phones and multiple Internet Explorer windows, I didn't get through. I was trying to get some less expensive seats in the stands.

They immediately added another date. After looking over the seating chart, I realized that the Wrigley Field seats would be very far away from the stage, and decided that this one time, we would spend $$$ and get good seats on the field, which were $254 each. That's an outrageous amount to pay for a concert, but heck...this is The Police, a group that broke up 22 years ago, that I've always wanted to see in concert. I ended up buying 2 pairs of tickets for $550 per pair (includes service charges). I figured that I could sell the other pair to a friend or to anyone else, that matter, for at least face value.

I couldn't have been more mistaken. Many of the tickets on EBay and on ticket sites have gone unsold or way under face value. In fact, as of right this minute (27 hours before the show), you can actually buy tickets (albeit at face value) from tickets.com for very good seats - better than the seats I have. :( Of course, you could get tickets way under face value on EBay. Or if you were willing to risk not seeing the concert at all, you could go to Wrigley and offer the scalpers $100 for a pair of good tickets.

Needless to say, I won't be doing that again. Don't overestimate the popularity of a show, especially for the second night of the show. I was shocked that I couldn't sell the tickets for face value. I ended up selling them on EBay for $230.

- schneid

No comments: