Thursday, September 20, 2007

Sept 20 update

192 this morning.

Food:
  • yogurt (no granola today, I think I ate too much yesterday)
  • 1 cup coffee with half and half and 1 Equal
  • lunch was chicken stir fry with broccoli, green peppers, onions, chinese cabbage, mushrooms, and carrots. 1 scoop of szechuan sauce, and I added my homemade fat-free curry salad dressing. It was gooooood.
  • green tea
  • 1 20 oz diet Pepsi - needed a boost again
  • grilled chicken salad with homemade ranch dressing
  • 20 oz beer
  • 1/2 cup nuts (pepitas, sunflower seeds, almonds, dried cherries, raisins
Exercise:
  • volleyball at lunchtime
Tonight is poker night. I'm going to limit myself to 12-16 oz of beer and a handful of snacky stuff (probably this mixture of pepitas, sunflower seeds, almond, and soy beans that I just bought).

I tried about 4 different beers on Thursday night but shared them and only had about 1/4 glass of each. Also had the nuts as a snack.

I stopped at Trader Joe's the other night. Someone mentioned that they have a great frozen fish selection, and they really do. Ahi tuna was 4.79/lb. They have a lot of great products, including a wide selection of cheeses, which I'm not really eating right now. Lots of fun gourmet stuff. I was surprised that the prices are pretty good. I've only stopped in there a couple times before.

Homemade ranch dressing recipe
  • 1/2 cup nonfat mayo
  • 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
  • 2 tsp minced green onion
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp minced onions
  • 1 tbsp minced red bell pepper
  • 1/2 tsp parsley
  • enough water to make it dressing consistency
It's pretty good. And it's about 9 calories per tbsp. Hidden Valley Ranch is 71 calories per tbsp. I might try some buttermilk next time to see if I can get it to be closer to store-bought.

- schneid

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know, I've been practically living off of Trader Joe's for years. Of course, I have the advantage of living out right near the original one, but I am really glad they are reaching into the depths of Illinois these days. Hopefully your selection is the same as what we get — there is a lot of really healthy stuff there, not to mention truly convenient. One of my favorite things is to get the sausages, bacon and sliced meats with no nitrites or nitrates. It's a lot cheaper than the same stuff at Whole Foods and sometimes even better. Their nitrite-free hot dogs are terrific. Still have to watch the sodium levels, of course! Damn the salt fiends! And here it is really hard to beat their beer selection (and better cheap wine is hard to come by). But I rave on enough. It's just that I rarely shop anywhere else except the local farmer's markets and Whole Foods when I need to. We're really committed to not poisoning ourselves (much) with regular grocery store foods. Doesn't stop us from eating fast food on occasion, though, which no one can really figure out... But seriously, what is up with food being labled "natural" and "healthy" but still being loaded with crap like MSG and corn syrup and other unnecessary and unhealthy crap?