Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sept 13 Update

I have lost 2 lbs so far! Down to 198.

I don't think it's water weight since I drank about 2 gallons yesterday. Anyway, we'll know within a week that it's real weight if the number keeps going down. I'm writing my weight in a column of numbers on the bathroom mirror at Greg's suggestion. I need that immediate feedback. I'll live if I don't lose weight over a couple of days; I realize that I'm putting on some muscle too.

I'm also going to set a reward for getting my weight below 170. Of course, if it's an expensive one, I'll have to get spousal approval. But honey, I'm going to save $720 a year in health insurance costs! It's been 10 years since I've been under 170.

I feel great physically and emotionally. In fact, this is physically the best I've ever felt after jumping back into serious exercise. Usually, the first time I return to lifting weights, I overdo it and I'm in serious pain for days. I'm sore now, but it's a good sore. I think all the veggies, antioxidants, and water yesterday helped, and I'm sure the Advil didn't hurt.

I've found a cool web site called MyPyramid Tracker. You can enter everything you eat and it does a complete nutritional analysis. I've used this in the past because I thought I was deficient in certain vitamins and minerals. Even with the current healthy diet, I'm not getting enough B vitamins, due to barely eating any grains yesterday. I'll have to work on that.

The funny thing about yesterday is that most of my calories were from fat. I basically only ate vegetables...there was oil in the stir fry and oil in the ranch dressing. I'm going to cut down on the oil we use to cook and use nonfat mayonnaise to make homemade dressing.

I skipped the diet soda and had some green tea instead. I have some friends at work who are coffee snobs (they roast their own beans) and they are educating me about the joys of really good coffee.

Food:
  • 1 granola bar
  • coffee + half and half + Equal
  • green tea, orange herb tea
  • mongolian stir fry - lots of veggies, only a little rice, with szechuan sauce
  • handful of sunflower seeds
  • Rosh Hashanah dinner: 1 matzoh ball soup, 1 gefilte fish, 1 kishke, 2 small meatballs, 2 small slices of brisket, and a 1/2 glass of red wine. (If you want to know what any of that stuff is, feel free to ask.) For dessert, one small chocolate chip cookie, decaf coffee with artificial sweetener and skim milk, and a few pieces of fruit salad.
  • lots of water
Exercise:
  • 2.5 minutes on the elliptical machine (man that's hard)
  • 12 minutes on the bike
  • 15 minutes lifting weights
  • 25 minute walk around Tellabs. We have really nice walking paths. I had no idea it took so long. I couldn't work out any more so I thought I would take a cooldown walk (wasn't all that cool) and decided to walk the whole path.
And remember, if you see me putting unhealthy food in my mouth, knock it out of my hand or tackle me!

- schneid

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I think you should get yourself a gray sweat suit and a pair of Converse All-Stars. Then, you should go jog around the old neighborhood. Finally, drink six raw eggs. It's what I do to get lean and mean. Cue the montage...

Gary

Anonymous said...

Get a good scale, one that approximates body fat percentage, (you can pick a Tanita one for $50). If your weigh doesn't change quick enough, hopefully fat percentage will, and that may keep you motivated...

Anonymous said...

Forget the Equal in your coffee. If you like it sweet, use sugar, only 16 calories/teaspoon. Same with cream, if you like it, use it, not many cals to worry about vs total intake. Besides, you are supposed to be setting yourself up for a healthy lifestyle that you can MAINTAIN! Think about: once I get to my goal, how am i going to stay there and what will I be eating for the rest of my life?

You won't keep eating yucky tasting crap (or healthy food) just because you lost weight with it, you will want things you can enjoy.

Stick with it!

JT-TNP

schneid said...

I agree that artificial sweetener is not good for you. It's a crutch that I might lean on for a little while longer. As for cream, it's awfully good...but I'm almost as happy with 2% milk.

As for bad tasting healthy food, I really enjoy the salads and stir fry. My intention is to lose weight (maybe 20-30 lbs) and start adding things back into my diet. I love food so there's no way I can live without pasta and cookies, but I can wait a few months, and do it in moderation.

Once I drop weight, if I keep exercising I can probably eat 3000 calories per day, which gives plenty of room for just about anything (in moderation), and more important, beer!

- schneid