Monday, September 17, 2007

Sept 17 update

I was at 194 this morning, which was a little surprising because I exercised less and ate more this weekend. I feel a little dehydrated, though, so maybe some is water loss.

Food:
  • yogurt with granola
  • coffee with half and half, 1 equal
  • big salad for lunch with ranch dressing, watered down
  • 1 black tea, 1 green tea
  • ribeye steak
  • 3/4 cup cooked corn
  • mushrooms and onions
  • 3 tater tots
  • 5 chocolate chips
  • and a partridge in a pear tree....
Exercise:
  • 25 minutes on the bike
  • 17 minutes weight lifting
I downloaded the first episode of the show Weeds, which I've never seen, and watch on my video iPod while cycling (stationary bike). That helped me stretch it out to 25 minutes.

I made homemade curry salad dressing this morning with ginger, green onions, garlic, curry, masala, nonfat mayonnaise, and water. And then I left it on the counter.

2 tbsp of Ranch dressing is 143 calories and 15.5 grams of fat. 2 tbsp of nonfat mayonnaise is 27 calories and less than 1 gram of fat. I'll save a lot of calories.

I haven't had a beer in a week. I think I will treat myself to 1 or 2 on Thursday night at poker if I can lay off the snacks. Nothing gets stored as fat faster than beer. It's hard to not drink it when I have about 30 different varieties at home. But once I get my weight down, I'll add it back in moderation.

- schneid

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, I applaud your efforts. I think most importantly Ben and Anna want to have Dad around a long time.

I too have gained weight and I hate where I am. I am heavier than I ever have been and you have inspired me to re-commit to better health

About 5 years ago I lost a lot of weight. Sadly, I have gained it back plus. When I lost the weight (40 pounds plus) I did it on The Zone diet. There are tons of diets that probably work, this one happened to work for me VERY well.

The concept of the Zone is similar to Atkins in that too much carbs are bad, but unlike other diets its states you should a) eat, not eating is worse than eating, b) one should eat protein, carbs, and fats in a 40-30-30% balance called the “zone”. If you eat a normal amount of calories in this zone, you will loose weight and perform at your body’s peak. The diet had some funny suggestions about always eating protein and oils with a carb, no matter what. I remember eating sliced turkey in a movie theater because I was eating popcorn, a carb. It’s hard to find proteins to balance carbs - but when you do I swear to God it works.

I am going to start the diet again along with the 30 minutes of running I did before with it.

To egg each other on I will send you my results and we can see who does better week to week.

Best of luck!

Your pal
Tim

schneid said...

I'm definitely not thinking of it as a diet. You don't need to diet...you just need to eat fewer calories than you burn. I am avoiding certain foods like french fries and potato chips, but only because I'm addicted to them and can't eat just one. :)

The Zone says to always eat something else with a carb because it raises the glycemic index and doesn't get converted to fat as quickly.

I would love to see you get into shape too. Good luck!

- schneid

Cha Ron said...

Pack a small bottle of balsamic vinegar (get the good stuff, remember, we're going SNOBBY). It's great back up and toss the ranch!!

schneid said...

I think I meant to say that it lowers the glycemic index...

- schneid